CBRNE-Terrorism Newsletter is an on-line (open) source of information targeting First Responders around the world celebrating 10 years in the frontline of specialized information.
As of January 2014 it is a monthly edition provided free of charge to those involved in CBRNE and counter-terrorism operations. Newsletter evolved in 2005 as an effort to keep the personnel of
the 2004 Olympic Hospital CBRN Response Unit (Army General Hospital of Athens,
Greece - Editor's former unit), updated in issues relevant to CBRNE
operations. In a later phase the component of terrorism was added since both CBRNE threats and terrorism belong to asymmetric threats.
the first three years the Newsletter was solely in Greek. As time went
by and responsibilities and duties were sky-rocked it was transformed to
an English version with Greek comments or key-points. Finally it became
an English on-line Newsletter mainly due to its high appeal in
specialized response personnel around the globe. These colleagues were the
important advertisers of the Newsletter and the motivated urge behind a lonely
process and a "passion" for this specialized field of operations. CBRNE-Terrorism
Newsletter will always focus in the content and not in the looks
because the people who edit it strongly believe that "knowledge is
power". In that respect, they will do their best to change the current
NBC (No Body Cares) perception into "real" CBRNE awareness and
preparedness. The "unexpected always happens" and we, as personalities,
hate surprises! Your comments,
suggestions, ideas and most of all your contribution with original papers will be highly
appreciated and will be taken under serious consideration in order to
improve each and every new issue we publish. Opinions expressed in the Newsletter's articles are those of the writers of the articles and do not necessarily express those of the members of the Editorial Team; same applies for the "Editor's comments" that in certain occasions accompany various articles.
Enjoy the CBRNE-Terrorism Newsletter! If you find it both interesting and informative, please feel free to distribute it to other colleagues into your networks.
The Editorial Team
EDITOR-IN-CHIEFBrigadier General (ret'd) Galatas Ioannis [John], MD
- Retired military physician (Aug 2010) – Brigadier
General (MD) with 35 yrs industry experience;
- MD Consultant in Allergy & Clinical Immunology;
Head of Department of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Army General Hospital of
Athens for more than 20yrs;
- Medical/Hospital CBRNE Planner – with hands-on 2004
Olympic Games experience; trained in many countries abroad (Iran included);
plus 10yrs of experience;
- Senior Asymmetric Threats Analyst – former Head,
Department of Asymmetric Threats, Joint Military Intelligence Service, Hellenic
National Defense General Staff (last post);
- MA in “International Terrorism, Organized Crime & Global
Security” (Coventry University, UK – 2010);
- PhD candidate (2012-) – Athens’ Medical School
(Department of Forensics and Toxicology);
- Senior Fellow at New Westminster College, British
Columbia, Canada (as of July 18th, 2012).
- Research Associate @ Center for Security Studies (KEMEA), Athens (as of July 2014)
Editor's Proferssional Network
at LinkedIn(as of August 2014)
Click on "View John's Full Profile" at the end of the initial page
Hellenic Navy Captain (ret'd) Stavrakakis Panagiotis, MEng, MBA, PhD, MSc
Photiou Steve, MD, MSc (EMDM)
- Senior attending physician, Senior Emergency Medicine consultant, Emergency
Dept., Sant'Antonio Hospital, Padua, Italy
- Chair, Disaster Medicine section, European Society for Emergency Medicine
- Visiting Professor, MSc in Health Crisis &
International Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Athens, Greece
- Editorial board, Mediterranean Journal of Emergency
- Executive committee member, Hellenic Society for
- Global Network fot Emergency Medicine
Captain RN (ret'd) Sarafis Pavlos, MSc, PhD
- Lecturer @ Nursing Department. Technological Educational Institute of Lamia, Hellas
- MScHealth Services Management HOU
- MSc Public Health NSPH - Hygienist
- PhD Athens' Medical School (scholarship of Onassis Foundation)
- Specialist in infections, travel medicine and tropical diseases (LMU Munich, Germany)
- OC of Travel Medicine ("Evgenidion" Hospital, NKUA)
Kiourktsoglou BSc, Dipl, MSc, MBA
- B.Sc. in
Mechanical Engineering (Aristotelian Technical University, Greece, 1992
- M.Sc. in Nuclear
Engineering (Cornell University, U.S.A., 1996)
- Diploma in
Management (ALBA Graduate Business School, Greece, 2006)
- M.B.A. in
Shipping (ALBA Graduate Business School, Greece, 2008).
- Currently: Ph.D.
candidate (Maritime Security) and lectures (Strategy and Management) at the
University of Greenwich.
- Member of the
American Nuclear Society, the Chartered Management Institute and the Institute
of Marine Engineering, Science Technology in London.
- He speaks
Greek, English, German, Japanese and French.